We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
This is one of our favorite eggplant dishes, and it can stand out as a main dish. Layers of breaded eggplant rounds are deep fried and then topped with a herbed tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and grated Parmesan cheese.
Serve this Eggplant Parmigiana with Garlic Bread or Crisp Italian Bread.
- 1 large eggplant,
- about 1 1/2 pounds
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups fine, dry breadcrumbs mixed with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon virgin olive oil
- A heavy skillet 2 cans of tomato sauce (8 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crumbled
- 16 ounce sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
Steps to do it
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C / Gas 4).
- Grease a 12 x 8 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Put the beaten eggs in a wide, shallow bowl.
- Put the seasoned breadcrumb mixture in another wide, shallow bowl.
- Wash the eggplant and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Dip the eggplant slices in beaten eggs and then dredge with seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Place the breaded slices on a plate and chill for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Heat about 1/8-inch olive oil in a heavy skillet.
- Fry the aubergine battered on both sides until golden and crisp.
- Drain well on paper towels.
- In a saucepan, heat the tomato sauce, basil and oregano.
- Spread about a third of the sauce on the prepared baking dish.
- Place half of the eggplant, half of the mozzarella cheese slices, another third of the sauce, and half of the Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat layers, finishing with the remaining sauce and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
Tips and variations
- Place the sliced fresh tomatoes in the casserole with the fried eggplant slices.
- Make the aubergine parmesan with smoked mozzarella cheese.
- Replace the tomato sauce with prepared pasta sauce and omit the basil and oregano.
- Replace tomato sauce with crushed tomatoes. Use garlic, Parmesan cheese, or Italian seasoned breadcrumbs instead of plain, unseasoned crumbs.
- Replace the dried basil with about 1 to 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh basil.
- Skip the breading; Brush the eggplant slices with olive oil and bake in a preheated 450 F oven for about 20 to 30 minutes, turning to bake half a turn to brown both sides.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 F and assemble the casserole.
- Bake as directed.
By Diana Rattray, Recipe in English